Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Making Progress!

Tonight was week 6 of our run-through class and I really think we're making good progress! We started out with our usual zoomie run, but he recovered fairly quickly and after that he did really, really well.

I've been trying to remember to keep running through our mistakes and I see now what a difference it makes in Peyton's attitude. We had a lesson with Karen H a few weeks ago, and she agreed that he doesn't like to be wrong - so my job right now is to make sure that he doesn't think he is. She also confirmed that I need to always try to be ahead of him, which is challenging because he can be really fast, but I guess I just need to do a better job of planning our runs and thinking on my feet. :)

His focus tonight was the best I've seen him have in class. I could tell that he was really into playing the game and it showed. He had a lot of speed and confidence in areas where he sometimes shows uncertainty. And his turns were fabulous. Okay, so now I'm gushing a little, but I'm just really proud of my spotty boy.

One thing that I did notice was that he started showing a few signs of stress when going to the start line. I'm not sure why as I've never done much correcting there, but perhaps I'm putting a little too much pressure on him. He is sensitive and I think I sometimes forget that since he's also a big goof. If he is stressing a little, that's probably a big factor in his first run zoomies. I'm going to try playing some no-pressure games with him at the start line and see if that doesn't help.

Anyway, it was a great night. And sometimes you just need one of those to keep you going through the more challenging ones. :)

No comments: