Saturday, October 31, 2009

Boo

I'll admit it...I'm not a fan of Halloween. At all. Usually I'll embarrass the spotty dogs with a few silly pictures, but I've been so busy I haven't had time. I guess they lucked out this year. :)

Peyton and I attended an AKC trial near Lakeland yesterday and oh was it HOT. Like 90+ degrees hot. Much too warm to be playing agility outside...not sure where fall is, but it would be really nice if it showed up soon!

We started with standard and it was a perfect course for Peyton - so much better than what we saw in Miami last week. Unfortunately he knocked the panel jump early on and then I had a number of small mistakes that I can only blame on brain-melt. Unfortunately I didn't get this run on video.

Next up was JWW and again, this was a nice course for us. My original plan was to handle with all rear crosses, but I changed my mind at the last minute and decided on a landing side front cross in front of the triple. Not such a good idea - he didn't read my motion (which wasn't that great anyway) and took the off-course jump. It was a nice run otherwise.


Despite the miserable heat, I was overall very happy with our runs. This was a new trial site for us and I thought Peyton handled the new environment well and seemed to have a good time. We took today off, but will be heading back tomorrow morning...I'm hoping it will be slightly cooler.

To all of my Halloween-loving friends, Happy Halloween!

10 comments:

Achieve1dream said...

Poor pup. I'm surprised they hold outdoor events when it's that hot. Glad you had fun. :)

D.K. Wall said...

Happy Howl-o-ween to you too. We are ok with the holiday, because we live so far out that we have never had a trick or treater at our house. So it is actually kind of a normal day here.

Kim said...

Well, it's almost always hot in Florida, but I don't think it's really supposed to be this miserable in November. :)

Lisa said...

OK, guys, while I admit that 90+ is a little too hot, even for me, when we got up yesterday to go to an agility trial, it was in the upper 30s! Brrr! While you're waiting for fall to set in, we're waiting for indian summer. Fortunately, almost all of our trials are indoors, so we ended up happy and comfy!

Thanks for sharing video from the trial. We always enjoy watching Peyton run and long for his awesome weave poles!!

Girl Tornado said...

Like the Thundering Herd, we are out in the boonies, so we don't get any trick or treaters, even if we leave the back porch light on, LOL. I rather like it being just another normal day.

And wow, 90 is pretty danged hot, like you say, even in FL this time of year! Glad to hear that Peyton adjusted to the new environments pretty well. It sure sounds like a lot of fun!

Kim said...

Lisa, burrrrrr! I'll take the heat over *that* cold any day!

And Sometimes I wish I lived in the boonies...I opted to sit in the dark for a few hours. :)

Charles Rinehart said...

A very nice blog Kim. I live in Sarasota in the clark-beneva area. I am adding you to my favorites. All the best.

Jenn said...

kim - i love watching Peyton! Such enthusiasm! But I have to know ... are there any other people at these trials???? LOL - it seems like there is never anyone ring side. I have such a phobia about Steeler leaving the ring with all the people that are hanging ringside at the trials up here. 90 degrees!?!! It has been warm up here the last couple of days - but more like 60.

Kim said...

Jenn, ha! The last few trials have been on the smaller side and in venues where there is lots of room to spread out. And at our last one, most of the smart people were hanging out under the shade of their tents. :)

I'd actually prefer *more* people ringside. Although, I don't really care to be watched, I think when there are more people around, they tend to "blend" into the background and Peyton doesn't seem to notice them as much. If Steeler is similar, you might not have as much to worry about as you think...not that I think you do anyway. :)

Jenn said...

yeah - I don't mind the people - even though I know he thinks that people exist juts to say hello to him. I worry about the dogs barking on the side lines, at the end of their leashes with the owners not paying attention to them. But you are right - I am trying to not focus on that as Steeler has made HUGE strides in that area. Once we can walk into run thrus and actually start like it is a trial - then I will think about entering him. My nerves are still getting in the way a bit.