Saturday, November 29, 2008

Day 2 - Dogwalk Woes

Day two started off great - we had a lovely jumpers run on a challenging course and managed to come in over two seconds under time for a Q. It was probably one of our best jumper runs ever, and unfortunately I didn't get it on tape - why does that always seem to happen? :)

I usually don't use long lead outs with Indy, but today I opted to do a three jump lead out since there was a tunnel just beyond the third jump that I knew she would take if I used any forward motion down the line. For once, my plan worked out nicely!


Unfortunately our good start ended there. In our next run, Elite chances, Indy nailed the hard part - a double tunnel discrimination, but then refused the dog-walk at the end of our run. When I went in for a second attempt she refused again and started running around in avoidance mode. Since the remainder of our runs today all had the dog-walk in them, I knew we were in trouble.

*Sigh* - I really thought we were past our dog-walk drama, but I guess not. It's hard not to get frustrated when I know she can do it, and is usually happy to do so. But at the same time, I don't think it's fair of me to get upset with her since it's clearly causing her stress.

I'm considering pulling her from her regular runs tomorrow, but I think I'll wait and see how our chances run goes - if there's a dog-walk in it and she refuses it, there's really no reason to keep trying when all it does is stress her out, and will likely slow her down in our other runs. :)

On a good note, I checked our records and Indy got her Elite jumpers title today! She is now Indy OAC, OCC, EJC, TN-E, TG-N, WV-N. Good girl!


Oh, and I almost forgot - Peyton is tagging along this weekend (as the official spotty cheerleader) and he has been sooooo good! For the most part he just hangs out quietly in his crate, but when I do get him out to work him around all of the distractions, he's been giving me some really great attention. I think he really enjoys seeing all of his friends from class, and he's even crated right next to his best friend Riley. I think it's been a really good experience for him. :)

No comments: