Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 2 - SOTC Trial

I started off this morning with a happy and mostly focused spotty dog, and finished the morning with an agitated and unfocused spotty dog. All in a matter of hours...how does that happen?

Despite me not doing much of anything in the way of handling, Peyton had a pretty nice Standard run. Our only mistake was when he took the wrong end of the tunnel and that was because I pretty much sent him there. He was very flakey on the contacts today, but I'm not sure how much of that was because of me. I think this goes down as my most casual start ever, but hey - it worked.



Just a few hours later we ran in JWW and I found myself with a totally different spotty dog. He seemed fine going into the ring, but once we started moving he was clearly agitated - barking, knocking bars, running around jumps. Not a happy camper. After our run he seemed fine again...I have no idea what sets him off sometimes, but I really wish he could tell me!



I still think there's a good chance that he's not 100%. His weaves, especially, look a little off to me, so it's possible that he's just a little sore and cranky. I guess I can relate - I wasn't feeling that great today either. :)

We've got a light trial schedule for the next 6 months so I think it will be good to take some time off and maybe find the time for some real training (which has been lacking). And hopefully I'll have some new spotty pictures sometime soon...they have all been very neglected lately by my camera!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I wish they could talk too! The only thing I noticed which may or my not be actually true is that it seemed louder with more dogs barking in your jumpers run than it did in the standard run.

Can't wait for more spotty pic's! :-) Hope you are feeling better!

Kim said...

Who knows...I'm starting to think there must be ghosts in our jumper's ring! :)

And thanks! Feeling a little more human today...